Tuesday Tip – Decorative Storage:
Let decorative storage be your friend! There are so many options out there that will not only help clean up your clutter, but also blend seamlessly into your space. Give it a go!
Check out the images below of spaces that use decorative storage creatively and flawlessly!
Images found here!
TGIF! Fridays are great for so many reasons – the end of a (traditional) work week, the beginning of two days to spend with family and friends, the day to finalize those weekend plans, and more. For Valerie and I, though, one thing we look forward to on Fridays is the potential for what the next morning might bring – thrifting! Now, it’s unfortunately not something we get to do every weekend (hey, we’re busy, people!), and generally by this time of year it’s getting a little cooler and, therefore, we don’t go as often (especially to those outdoor flea markets). But, the weather is still unseasonably warm and the opportunity for thrifting, whether at a thrift store, flea market, yard sale, antiques market, etc., is always on our radar.
So, for today’s edition of Five on Friday, I thought I’d share my Top 5 Thrift Shops in the Central PA region! As mentioned above, thrifting doesn’t have to happen at just traditional thrift shops, like Salvation Army or Goodwill, so stay tuned for some other variations too.
With that said, here are my…
Top 5 Picks for Thrift Shops!
- Blue Mountain Thrift Store. This thrift store is located in Annville, PA. Don’t be turned off by its unassuming location and building, however. Once inside, this place is bigger than it appears from the outside, carries an assorted, ever-changing inventory of furniture, household goods, clothes, books, and more, and I cannot remember a time when we’ve left here empty-handed!
- Williams Grove Farmers’ Flea Market. You may have seen this flea market surface in one of Valerie’s previous posts, so it’ll come as no surprise that this is one of our favorite local thrifting spots. However, since that post, some things have changed – the lower portion of the flea market, which was held at the former amusement park, is no longer in operation. You can read more about this here. As sad as this is, the upper portion, maintained by the Williams Grove Historical Steam Engine Association, is still in operation and has taken on many of the vendors that previously sold at the lower area. Therefore, while some of the amazing atmosphere is no more, the finds are still there! Bonus: as its name suggests, there’s a Farmer’s market there as well!
- Hampden Center Goodwill. Located in the Hampden Shopping Center in Mechanicsburg, PA, this is your typical Goodwill store. What sets this location apart, however, is its collection of home goods and housewares. Located in the back of the store (which is great because you have to pass by all of the clothes, where you’re sure to find a gem as well, to get there), these items are neatly (well, neat for a thrift store!) organized by color, which makes any thrifting adventure even more fun :)
- Antique Marketplace of Lemoyne. Valerie and I love, love, love this place. Located just over the river from us, it’s a convenient trip to make, especially since they’re open everyday! From the beautiful building to the many independent vendors, shopping here always proves to be a good time. There’s always a variety of items to ogle, and even with this being an antiques shop, we’ve found many affordable items during our various shopping trips here. The photo below happens to be a shot of one of our favorite vendors located inside. If you get a chance to stop by this gem, be sure to check out Architecturally Speaking!
- Root’s Old Mill Flea Market. This is another favorite and a place I grew up going to. Situated in a huge field, which allots for many vendors (and with many vendors, usually comes many great finds!), Root’s (pronounced “Ruutz”) is near Manheim, PA. Make sure you take time to go inside the barn too; there are more vendors inside! Located across the street from the Root’s Country Market & Auction, you can literally spend the whole day here.. just make sure it’s a Tuesday since that’s the only day it’s open :)
Well, now I’m in the mood to thrift! The good new is today is Friday and we’ve got a pretty open weekend ahead of us.. I think I know what might find its way onto our agenda!
Have a thrifting gem you want to share? Tell us about it in the comments!